1.11.2011

Technology Sabbath?

And no...I don't mean a Sabbath with a bunch of new technology, like 3D sermons, etc. Though that would be something interesting. I mean a Sabbath, a "shabbat", a rest, from technology.

We are so uber-connected these days that I think it makes my eye twitch. I can get my email and check my Facebook from my phone. I stay signed in to instant messaging programs pretty much 24/7.

The Sabbath Manifesto people over at sabbathmanifesto.org are not tied to Adventism, and while they do have several links on the Jewish Sabbath, I don't think they're tied to Judaism either. They are promoting this "technology Sabbath" for "ALL BACKGROUNDS, NATIONALITIES AND RELIGIONS TO PARTICIPATE."

They provide 10 Principles (to be added to, interpreted by, or even ignored by YOU) that act as ideas for what to do when you unplug and avoid technology (Principle #1). Here they are:

For more information, see sabbathmanifesto.org.
For more on the story, follow this link: http://awakeningcharlotte.com/content/2010/10/26/tech-sabbath-a-day-of-rest-fosters-wellness/.

Take a break man!

No comments: